Monday, February 5, 2018

The Holy, Historical Visit to Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul & St. Patrick Catholic Church!

A visit to a graveyard at night? Can't get any creepier than that! Our class visited Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul and St. Patrick Catholic Church! Most of my pictures taken were from the Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul, but my last picture on here will be from St. Patrick Catholic Church! Our class was to find 10 different types of grave markers to blog about. The pictures are at night, so they might not be the best quality, but if I got any information out of the grave markers, I put it below the picture! Enjoy!

Ledger





This ledger here was very hard to read, especially at night, but because of all of the cracks and fading of the words. The only thing that was clear to read on this ledger was the first name, Sophia.









Die on Base



















This is called a die on base. Again, it being night time was hard to see what exactly was written on the stone, but I got the last name on this one, Vanderhorst.







Box tomb














This one is called a box tomb, one of my favorite ones to look at because it is super creepy looking and interesting as well! Here lays Mrs. Rebecca Thompson and from the picture that I took on my phone, I know her death date is February 26, 1826.







Obelisk












Another one of my favorites to look at is an obelisk. Catherine Porcher is buried here and lived to be 73 years old!







Cross














This cross is so beautiful and was
made for a mother named Maria, born December 27th, sometime in the 1880s, the night time and fading make it hard to read, and I couldn't quite see her death date either.






Mausoleum










This mausoleum is very interesting to me as well because it's huge and it's like a mini house as a memorial for someone. The camera didn't capture the name on the white plaque. 




Headstone










This headstone was very hard to read as well, but the death date on the headstone says February 9th, 1858.







Cradle or Bedstead














Another one of my favorites is the cradle or bedstead. I know the one on the one on the left says Percy Guerard, born on December 14, 1836, died on April 10, 1900, the right says Sue L. Guerard, born on February 4, 1832, to August 3, 1910. 





Column










Now for my favorite, the broken columns! These symbolize that a man's life was cut too short, maybe around the age of 30-40. These are beautiful to me and heart touching. The writing is faded out on this one as well, but I love this one, especially the added flowers at the top of it for more symbolism.






Die on Socket











The last one taken was at St. Patrick Church! This one is called a die on socket. This one says "SACRED / To the Memory of / Miss Margtret M.E. Mahony / Who departed this life December 17th, 1866 / Aged 30 years and 16 days / May her Soul rest in peace." This is very touching and even though it may not be big, it is very meaningful and thought was put into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bittersweet Ending to the Semester!

Graveyard class