Friday, April 20, 2018

Wonderful, Majestic, Magnolia Cemetery!

Charleston's most beautiful, historical grave markers lay at Magnolia Cemetery, right off of Cunnington Avenue. I thought that the cemetery was beautiful and each grave marker was beautiful on its own as well! The cemetery was very big, much larger than I expected. I enjoyed the experience of getting to see the cemetery in person and getting a lot of great pictures!

A picture of one of the ponds and the bridge that connects
the two sides together.
There were ponds at the cemetery, there were walkways, there was even a bridge that connected the two sides together! It was so big that I thought I would have gotten lost, but it was not as bad as I thought.

The walkways were nice in the front and the back. The cool thing about going toward the back, we got to see the older grave markers. The walkways and driveways are nice for people to go through the cemetery. The area is 150 acres, so there was a lot of ground to cover, but we did it!

The ponds just make the cemetery better! There are always birds in the ponds, or around it which is cool to watch if you're there.

The walkways/road for people to go through the
cemetery.
This is toward the entrance of the cemetery.


I had many favorites from this cemetery because there is so much beauty and art around! I loved how detailed and sentimental these grave markers were. Out of all of them, below are my top three. It is amazing how different they compare to today's markers!
Lizzie Patrick's grave marker

Lizzie Patrick died of scarlatina.
  "Our Darling Lizzie, Died Nov. 27th, 1885. Aged 4 years, 1 month and 3 days/Patrick"

Rosalie Raymond's grave marker.

This beautiful masterpiece, an angel holding a cross, in sadness. This represents that the little girl is going to be taken care of in heaven.

Rosalie Raymond died of cyanosis.



Rev. Issac E.H. Seymour's grave marker.


"Infant daughter of B.L. et R.R. White, Born January 27th, 1882, died September 5th, 1882/Rosalie Raymond"

I am not sure on how Rev. Issac E.H. Seymour
died. I looked into it but the death record on
ancestry showed his daughters death record and
not his own.

This is considered a masterpiece as well! The blue in her face represents what she died of, the "blue disease", aka cyanosis. It looks like a stroller, designed that way because she was a baby when she died.

"Rev. I.E.H. Seymour, Late Pastor of the Baptist Church of Unionville, S.C., This young and faithful minister of the cross, fell asleep in Jesus on 17. Jany, 1861."

This is another masterpiece with some extra symbolism. There is an hourglass, which represents the passing of time and shortening of life.


Our class picture, because I forgot to take a selfie, oops.

I loved the visit to Magnolia Cemetery! It was amazing to see all of the historical grave markers, including the ones Mr. Harwood mentioned in his book. Overall, I enjoyed taking the field trip and looking all around the cemetery. I may even show my family whenever they come back just so they can see a some of the history behind Charleston's cemeteries. It was a very fun visit!

Thanks to Mr. Harwood for letting me use some of his information from this book for my blogpost!

1 comment:

Bittersweet Ending to the Semester!

Graveyard class